Every week Beyond The Flag will present the NASCAR Pre-Race Primer which will have an handful of fun factoids that will help you prepare for the upcoming race. This Sunday the circuit is heading to the Las Vegas Motor Speedway for the Kobalt 400.
The race can be seen live on FOX with coverage beginning at 2:30 PM. The green flag is expected to wave at approximately 3:16 PM. Last season Matt Kenseth celebrated his 41st birthday by winning this event. Heading into this race Dale Earnhardt Jr. is the current points leader. Kevin Harvick was the winner of last weeks event.
Fun Factoids about Las Vegas:
- Ken Schrader won the first NASCAR race at Las Vegas Motor Speedway in 1996.
- Mark Martin won the first Sprint Cup race at Las Vegas Motor Speedway in 1998.
- There have been 16 NASCAR Sprint Cup races at Las Vegas with Jeff Gordon, Bobby Labonte, Jeff Burton and Mark Martin competing in all 16 of them.
- Kasey Kahne has won the pole three times at Las Vegas (2004, 2007, 2012).
- Jimmie Johnson leads all drivers with four Las Vegas victories. Kenseth has three followed by Carl Edwards and Burton who each have two.
- Only two winners in 16 events have ever won when starting in the front row.
- Kenseth holds the honor of being the winner that started the deepest in the field. Kenseth started 25th when he won at Las Vegas.
- The best avergae finish at Las Vegas is 9.5 and belongs to Johnson.
- Three drivers have won at Las Vegas and then went onto win the NASCAR Championship: Gordon (2001) Kenseth (2003) Johnson (2006, 2007 and 2010).
- There has only been one green-white-checker finish at Las Vegas and that was in 2006.
Team Hendrick and specifically Dale Earnhardt Jr will look to continue their momentum at Las Vegas. On the other side Hass-Stewart Racing sans Kevin Harvick will be looking to right the ship. Tony Stewart, Danica Patrick and Kurt Busch have each struggled in the first two races of the season. Be on the lookout for Earnhardt and Harvick to gamble with victories already in their back pockets.