Every week Beyond The Flag will present the NASCAR Pre-Race Primer which will have an handful of fun factoids that will help you prepare for the upcoming race. This Sunday the circuit is heading to the Auto Club Speedway for the Auto Club 400.
The race can be seen live on FOX with coverage beginning at 2:30 PM. The green flag is expected to wave at approximately 3:16 PM. Last season Kyle Busch found his was to victory lane during this event. Although a win would be great, Busch should hope to just run inside of the top-10 giving his recent luck. Heading into this race Brad Keselowski. is the current points leader. Carl Edwards was the winner of last weeks event.
Fun Factoids about Auto Club Speedway
- Jeff Gordon won the first ever NASCAR race at the Auto Club Speedway.
- Only Jeff Gordon, Jeff Burton and Bobby Labonte have run all of the events at Auto Club Speedway.
- Jimmie Johnson leads all drivers in victories at the track with five; Jeff Gordon and Matt Kenseth each have three.
- Hendrick Motorsports has won 9/24 races at the track.
- Matt Kenseth won the race after starting 31st in 2008. That’s the deepest in the field a winner has come from.
- Aside from his five wins, Jimmie Johnson has run second at the track five times as well. Jeff Gordon has run second four times to go along with this three wins.
- Despite competing in all of the events at Auto Club Speedway, Jeff Burton and Bobby Labonte have never won there.
- Jeff Gordon and Jimmie Johnson are the only drivers to win at this track and win the NASCAR Championship in the same year.
- Jimmie Johnson and Matt Kenseth lead the series in top-10 finishes at the track, each with 14.
- Jimmie Johnson is the only driver to win the race after starting in the front row.
Well I think that it’s safe to say Jimmie Johnson will be a favorite to win this weekend. Johnson has essentially owned the track with an average finishing position of 5.7. Johnson is coming off of a tire issue in Bristol that forced him to finish the race two laps down. It will be interesting to see if Carl Edwards, Ricky Stenhouse Jr and Aric Almirola can build on their Bristol finishes and keep momentum on their side in Fontana. Jeff Gordon who has run well here in the past will look for his fifth consecutive top-10 finish to open the season.
Be sure to check back with Beyond The Flag for Qualifying Results on Friday!