Every week Beyond The Flag will present the NASCAR Pre-Race Primer which will have an handful of fun factoids that will help you prepare for the upcoming race. This Sunday the circuit is heading to the Martinsville Speedway for the STP 500.
The race can be seen live on FOX with coverage beginning at 12:30 PM. The green flag is expected to wave at approximately 1:13 PM. Last season Jimmie Johnson found his was to victory lane during this event. Johnson is off to a rough start this season by his standards and a win or solid finish would be huge for the No. 48 team. Heading into this race Carl Edwards is the current points leader. Kyle Busch was the winner of last weeks event.
Fun Factoids about Martinsville Speedway:
- NASCAR had it’s first race on the track in 1949.
- Jeff Gordon has the most starts at the track amongst active drivers with 42.
- Richard Petty leads NASCAR with 15 wins at the track; Jeff Gordon and Jimmie Johnson lead active drivers with eight wins each.
- Jeff Gordon, Jimmie Johnson, Tony Stewart and Denny Hamlin are the only active drivers with multiple wins at the track.
- Thanks largely to Johnson and Gordon, Hendrick Motorsports leads all teams in wins at the track with 21.
- In 2oo2 Kurt Busch won the race after starting 36th; that’s the deepest in the field a driver has won from.
- Gordon and Johnson lead all active drivers in second place finishes with four and three respectively.
- It took Ryan Newman 20 attempts before winning at Martinsville.
- Kevin Harvick had to race at the track 19 times before he was able to win there.
- The closest finish at the track was in 2007 with a difference of 0.065 seconds.
Jimmie Johnson and Jeff Gordon have to be the favorites coming into this race. Gordon is coming off of a heartbreaking finish last week in which he was leading with three laps to go before a late caution. Johnson was leading with nine laps to go last week before having tire issues. Both of these drivers will be looking to punch their tickets to the chase this weekend in Martinsville. Also, keep any eye out for Carl Edwards and Tony Stewart as they both have been building momentum in the previous two weeks.
Be sure to check back with Beyond The Flag for Qualifying Results on Friday!