Every week Beyond The Flag will present the NASCAR Fast Facts which will have a handful of fun factoids that will help you prepare for the upcoming race. This Sunday the circuit is heading to the Michigan International Speedway for the Quicken Loans 400.
The race can be seen live on TNT with coverage beginning at 12:30 PM ET. The green flag is expected to wave at approximately 1:16 PM ET. Last season Greg Biffle found his was to victory lane during this event. Biffle would love for a repeat performance in 2014 since it would be his first win of the season and would most certainly secure his spot in the chase. Biffle who is rumored to be staying with RFR has had a slow start to his 2014 season. However, a win this weekend in Michigan would change everything for Biffle and the No. 16 team.
Fun Factoids about the Quicken Loans 400 from Michigan International Speedway:
- Jimmie Johnson has never won at this track.
- Jeff Gordon leads all active drivers with five pole awards at Michigan.
- Roush Fenway Racing has the most Michigan wins with 13.
- The last driver to win at Michigan from the pole was Joey Logano in 2013.
- Jimmie Johnson leads all drivers in average starting position (9.982) despite having never won at the track.
- Carl Edwards and Matt Kenseth are the only drivers to have an average finishing spot inside of the top-10.
- If Dale Earnhardt Jr. win this weekend it will be the first time he has ever won back-to-back races in his career.
- Joe Nemechek has run 40 races at Michigan without winning.
- 2011 and 2012 each saw a Michigan race end under a Green-White-Checkered flag.
- If Jeff Gordon leads 46 laps this weekend he will reach 1,000 laps led at Michigan in his career.
Entering the weekend at Michigan Tony Stewart, Kasey Kahne, Greg Biffle and Matt Kenseth are some of the big names still without a win this season. Fans should also keep an eye on rookies Kyle Larson and Austin Dillon who both could be factors this weekend. It will also be interesting to see how Juan Pablo Montoya does in his 2014 NASCAR debut.
Be sure to check back with Beyond The Flag for our staff predictions.